• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Admin
    TX HS Football Talk
    • Mar 2015

Daily Craig: Line up alphabetically by height

(STAND BY FOR TARGETS)

OK, I tortured myself again last night. I paid attention to what Jon Gruden was saying on MNF. In one sentence he compared Aaron Rodgers to Misters Montana AND Ali. "IT'S ALL IN THE FEET," said the Hooters spokesman. That reminded me of various coaches who later became more famous for talking. The late Bill Peterson falls into that category. If you thought Yogi COULD COME UP WITH DANDIES, Peterson wasn't far behind.

Houston fans remember him as the coach of both RICE AND THE OILERS, although not at the same time. Peterson was also a successful coach at Florida State. He was once asked about Auburn star Tucker Fredrickson. Bill managed to reverse the first letters of his name and it was on live TV. HIDE THE CHILDREN. He became even more famous for telling his team to line up in groups of three and form a circle.

As for the NATIONAL ANTHEM? "Stand on your helmets and put the sideline under your arms." He also was quite the history buff. "In the words of Henry Patrick, kill me or let me live." Dan Pastorini told me Peterson on day one of training camp wanted the Oilers to "line up alphabetically by height." I can still see the guys trying to figure that out. It was almost as tough as coming close to beating the Steelers or any other opponent as the Oilers were 1-18 under Peterson. Dan was also singled out in a pre-game prayer. Peterson said the Lord's Prayer by saying "Now I lay me down to sleep." At that point he looked at Dante and told him. "You're a Catholic, take us home."

I gotta remember the words of my coach Swede Lundberg. "Roberts, you better hope we win by 50 so you can get in." It was music to my ears.

Read more about Craig Roberts here.

More...
Working...